Thursday 1 April 2010

CHILD BRIDE

Whilst labelling some portriaits in the Hall today, I was 'grabbed' by Doddington's answer to Max Clifford ...the very lovely Amy Claridge who looks after the PR side of things at the Hall.

Amy needed to send out a press release out which she would like to do 'as soon as' and wanted to get some shots of me 'at work'.  I was quite reluctant as I didn't particularly look or feel my best and had ten lovely chipped nails which I would have to hide in the photographs she would have me posing for.  

Nevertheless,I looked out a couple of dresses, both of which wouldn't even fit over the mannequin as they were so small!  After much laughter, mainly from me, we managed to find one that fitted and the only reason for this is because it was worn by a child. 

This dress is rather special and has quite a sad history.  It dates from the Regency period (1820) and is made of cotton muslin.  The dress was worn by an illegitimate daughter of George IV at her wedding when she was only 12 year old.  It is incredibly small and has a low neck and the wide collar has bold indentations edged with ribbon and net lace.  It is decorated with Brussels lace under the bust and has huge leg o'mutton sleeves with similar decoration on the cuffs.  The skirt is embroidered in white with flowers.  

All of the illegitimate descendants of the Prince Regent's family were objects of shame in the Halsey family and so no reliable records were ever kept.  The family had received, until quite recently, a special pension. 

Whilst we were photographing the dress, Amy and I were discussing what the bridge might have felt on the day of the marriage, where the wedding took place and how she would have been feeling.

This dress forms part of the Doddington Hall collection.























No comments:

Post a Comment